The Virtuous Vituperator

Sunday, November 12, 2006

DC Bound

Just got home from Philly, now I'm off to Washington DC, then NYC. A day in each.

I LOVE! to travel. I always did. If I didn't have kids I know I would have a job that had me bouncing all over the world. But, reality is, I have children, a home, a husband and a life. I love my life too. When I'm away I miss it all so much.

It is such a dual existence.

In all honesty, every time I'm walking through the airport in heels with my laptop and business clothes on I almost feel like I am playing dressup working Barbie. Like somehow someone can see through the mid-30s exterior and see a confused kid trying to get by, yet at the same time I'm extra-confident in what I do. Again, that duality.

This is not my first trip to Washington, DC. Although it is the first trip where I am going up there for my own governmental purposes. My meeting is with an allergy society and piggybacked to this trip is the chance to start meeting with certain government agencies for APFED's agenda. It's almost like "making it" but we're not quite there yet. ALMOST there, allllllmost there... ALLLLLMOST! THERE!

I get to play dress-up, talk about things I am comfortable and confident speaking of and act as though I have a clue about how legislative agendas actually go- then I get to miss my kids, go back to feel oh, so self-important, miss my home, try to win over people who hear the same sob stories daily, get excited to get to go to NYC (which is always such a joy to just stroll through), catch a train (something we don't get to do in Texas) miss the kids again, not sleep, eat all too well and too much, call my husband 22x a day, hop on a plane home and be exhausted for a week.

I wouldn't trade it for the world. Now, how to split myself into two so I can enjoy both lives a bit more without the attached guilt of either being away from home or neglecting a love of my work and the accompanying travel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home