The Virtuous Vituperator

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Appreciation

I've just hosted my fourth conference for patients suffering from a common ailment. It's a lot of work, I love what I do. Each year I often have felt how much people simply do not "get" the amount of work that goes into bringing in patients for a shared goal- education.

This year the opposite happened. I received accolades for both myself and my team. It's a bit overwhelming and I am not accustomed to it. Now I find myself in a strange bit of inner confusion.

I do not wish to be the person who sits back and martyrs myself for THE CAUSE- unappreciated and willing to share it with anyone who will listen. At the same time, too much acknowledgement is, well, too much. I do not like being the center of attention in this capacity. I'm not used to it, I don't like it either.

Simple "thank you's" suffice. How often does that actually happen though? Not often enough. Finding a middle ground is usually not such an easy thing. We wouldn't have a 60% divorce rate in the US if that were the case.

I've learned a lesson I didn't realize I needed to learn out of this inner conflict. Saying "thank you" once (and meaning it) is sufficient. Whether I am saying it, or am the recepient of the gratitude, it IS enough. Who made it not okay to accept a simple thanks anymore? Why does thanks have to be given, and shown, and paid for, and reciprocated with dinner in a never ending cycle of appreciation?

There are certain circumstances where these things are warranted. I do find that it is not always necessary and this year I was on the opposite end of this equation. Maybe its just me, but the whole "they don't appreciate me" thing has a new, and lower meaning in my book now. I won't use that sentence so cavalier-ly in the future. It was as easy as opening my eyes AND MY EARS to the folks around me.

DUH!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home